Schlage smart locks gain Amazon Alexa voice unlocking.
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
Schlage smart locks offer superior convenience at your fingertips. And with Amazon Alexa, you don’t even need your hands for some of the best features.
Schlage smart locks offer superior convenience at your fingertips. And with Amazon Alexa, you don’t even need your hands for some of the best features. Amazon Alexa users can enable voice unlocking functionality for their Schlage smart locks, an enhancement to the locks’ original features, which include verbally locking or checking the status of your door via Alexa-enabled devices.
At the time of the initial integration between Schlage smart locks and Amazon Alexa, voice unlocking was not available. However, because technology improvements now allow Alexa to authenticate the user’s identity prior to unlocking the door, you can enjoy the feature’s additional convenience and still know you’re getting the superior security you expect from Schlage. Here’s what you need to get started.
1. Which Schlage smart locks are compatible with Amazon Alexa?
All of Schlage’s smart locks are compatible with Amazon Alexa. In most cases, you will need to connect the devices via an adapter or smart home hub. Only the Schlage Encode™ Smart WiFi Deadbolt, with its built-in WiFi, does not require additional hubs or accessories.
- Schlage Sense™ Smart Deadbolt: Schlage Sense™ WiFi Adapter (sold separately)
- Schlage Connect™ Smart Deadbolt, Z-Wave Plus: Samsung Smart Things, Wink, Ring Alarm
- Schlage Connect Smart Deadbolt, Zigbee: Samsung SmartThings, Key by Amazon + Cloud Cam, Amazon Echo Plus
- Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt: No hub required
2. How does the new voice unlock feature for Amazon Alexa work?
The unlocking feature is disabled by default for your security. Log in to the Amazon Alexa app and enter your password to enable this feature. Then you will be required to set a four-digit PIN, which must be spoken before Alexa will unlock the door. When you say, “Alexa, unlock the front door,” Alexa will ask for the PIN. If the PIN is correct, Alexa will unlock the door. After three attempts to unlock the door with an incorrect PIN, Alexa will disable the unlocking feature and the door will remain locked. You can re-enable the feature by logging into the Amazon Alexa app and repeating the process.
3. What should I do if my spoken PIN is compromised?
Log in to the Amazon Alexa app to change your PIN as needed. We recommend changing your PIN at regular intervals just as you would a computer password.
4. Can the unlock feature be used with Amazon Alexa smart home routines?
Currently, there is no plan to support routines for operations that affect the security of your home (unlock, disarm, open.) However, locking the door can be included in routines.
7. In which countries will the Amazon Alexa voice unlock feature be enabled?
This functionality is currently available in the United States only.