Tuesday, June 11, 2019
When you manage a vacation rental property, you want the experience to be simple for you and enjoyable for your guests. Smart locks and electronic deadbolts can help achieve that.
Part of giving your guests a superior experience is making sure everything, including the door lock, is ready before their arrival.
- Make sure your door is properly aligned so that the deadbolt continues to operate smoothly. As the seasons and humidity change, the wood around your door can expand, contract or warp. When this happens, you might find that your deadbolt will rub or stick in the door jamb. Make regular checks on the door’s structure and impact on your lock.
- When you create an access code for your guest, make it something they won’t forget. We recommend the last four digits of their phone number.
- If you don’t want guests forgetting to lock up behind themselves, program the auto-lock feature on your Schlage smart lock. You can set the delay for as short as 15 seconds or as long as four minutes.
- When you create an access code, you can also schedule that code to be deleted at a specific day and time. If your guests are supposed to check out on Tuesday morning, you won’t have to remember to change or remove the code. Simply set the expiration for noon on Tuesday and prepare for your next visitors.
- In the event that your guest will need to change the smart lock’s batteries during their stay, we recommend having spare batteries easily accessible on the property. Replacing batteries is simple, especially with spares on hand and our tip sheets below.
- If you’d like to have a traditional key available to guests in an emergency, like if the battery dies while they’re away and you’re not on site, you can store it in a lockbox in another location. Should they need access to the key, you can then provide them with a code to the lockbox with minimal inconvenience.
If you’re still unsure about whether smart locks are right for your Airbnb, Vrbo or other vacation rental, check out this article on why smart locks are a smart business decision.
But if you’re already onboard and are looking to make it even easier for you and your guests to enjoy all the benefits of a Schlage smart lock, here are some helpful tip sheets. They’ll walk your guests through how best to use the lock during their stay, what to do in certain scenarios such as a battery warning and the meanings of the icons and lights on the touchscreens.
Feel free to download and provide these tips to your guests, either by posting them in the rental or including them in a welcome packet or other pre-visit communication. They’ll know you went the extra step to make their stay that much more secure and convenient.
- Schlage Encode™ Smart WiFi Deadbolt
- Schlage Connect™ Smart Deadbolt
- Schlage Sense™ Smart Deadbolt
- Schlage® Keypad Deadbolt
- Schlage Touch™ Keyless Touchscreen Deadbolt
Smart locks and electronic deadbolts provide security and convenience for homeowners and home hosts alike. Look to Schlage to provide peace of mind that can only come from a brand with nearly 100 years of experience and trust.